Sunday, November 16, 2014

Purpose

     I hinted to the direction of this blog in my Introduction post, but I want to clarify a little more in this post. Essentially, I want this blog to document my road to earning students' trust and respect. I want to track my progress on obtaining a healthy teacher-student relationship by discussing techniques, strategies, and tools. I am making this blog public, primarily, for other teachers who are starting their career and ask the same questions. Obviously, anyone is welcome to check out this blog, but my primary audience is new teachers who are also trying to find a way to gain their students' respect and maintain an efficient classroom. Hopefully, this blog will benefit others, but I would love for there to be comments that bring new, insightful thoughts and perspectives that can help me as a teacher and others on their road to effective teaching.

     Initially, I set up this blog for a course in my graduate studies at Harding University. Throughout this particular course, we have used many technological programs and applications that can benefit us in the classroom. I'm going to post samples of some of my work in this course on this blog because I believe that being technologically savvy can really earn you some points with your students. These tools can also display some very effective modern methods to education that seem to do a lot for students in this day and age. So this blog will display some of the tools that I will use in my classroom that hopefully benefit my progress as a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tanner - I really like the concept of your blog. We are around the same age (I was a college freshman in 2009 as well), and I can really relate to your concern about establishing respect between you and your students. It is actually not a topic that I have seen much written about or discussed. I think a lot of the great leaders (the kinds of people offering advice, writing book, etc.) are just such naturals that they automatically garner the respect of those around them. For some, that will never be true and for others, achieving that level of respect is a hard fought-battle!

    Here is a quote that I have referred to in my endeavors of being a college football coach:

    "To be a better coach you have to first be a better you" - Joe Ehrmann

    To me that quelled some of my nervousness about having to 'win' the respect of others. All the techniques, tips, and tricks in the world aren't going to mean a whole lot if I'm not a person worthy of respect. Anyway, your blog has got me thinking again and I enjoy it. Keep it up, and thank you.

    ReplyDelete