Sunday, November 16, 2014

Drive

     My Freshman year at Harding University in 2009, one of my history professors told me, "You never stop being a student, even when you are a teacher." She elaborated saying, "No matter where life takes you or how much knowledge you acquire, you never stop learning, and it is your responsibility to make sure that it stays that way. Regardless of your occupation, your responsibility is to seek truth." The words that Dr. Fortner said on the first day of Western Civilization, have stayed with me to this day and drive me to be an ever-learning student that continuously seeks truth. My form of carrying out that calling right now is learning a way to respect and care for my students so that they respect and care for me as their teacher. My major goal is to create trust, and people listen to those that they trust. If trust is formed, then we, as a class, can use social studies as a tool to seek truth together. If this kind of relationship is formed, who could ask for a better occupation than one that seeks truth and helps to guide young minds in that search? This is my reason for choosing education; specifically, my drive to teaching social studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment